The International Rose Test Garden in the early morning.
A few weeks ago, Andy and I went on a little getaway to Portland, Oregon! With our kitties in tow, we spent 4 days, 3 nights in one of our favorite cities in America. We went with friends, met friends, and even visited a few of my stockists. I put together a quick list of my favorite things to eat, see and do in the City of Roses!
We normally visit a few times a year. Andy has relatives in the area who we genuinely love spending time with, and it's such a fun place to visit.
These are listed in the order of which I remembered them or the order of which I added them to my Yelp Collection for Portland. As a result most of these links will send you out to the business listings on Yelp. We found it was so nice to have all of these in our bookmarks saved so when we found ourselves out and about, we could quickly find a place to eat or other shops to visit with the Yelp App.
I do want to say that the people that we have met and interacted with in Portland - in shops, at markets, out and about - they are some of the nicest people we've ever met. They remind us of when we lived in the Midwest.
I hope you're able to find a fun new favorite place to eat/shop/visit or that this list helps you create a fun itinerary for a getaway of your own.
A few of my favorite places to have a meal or a snack:
- Khao Niew Cart • Laotian • on the PSU campus - get the Khao Nam Tod
- PDX Sliders • American • voted one of the best burgers in America. Andy agrees!
- Nong's Khao Man Gai • Chinese • They're known for their Hainanese Chicken
- Double Dragon • Asian Fusian
- Bamboo Sushi • Japanese • Order the Green Machine
- Kachka • Eastern European • The Herring Under a Fur Coat is a personal favorite
- Grind Wit Tryz • Hawaiian
- Pine State Portland • American • Delicious Biscuits - I love the Mushroom Gravy!
- Screen Door Pearl District • American • I love their Brunch
- Tasty Corner • Chinese • Hand Pulled noodles!
- Bing Mi Food Cart • Chinese
- Luc Lac • Vietnamese • They have a great Happy Hour
- Shalom Y'all • Israeli
My favorite sweets, pastries and desserts:
- Lauretta Jean's • Everything we had was so good. From sweet to savory, I would recommend almost anything.
- Mio's Delectables • only at the Portland Farmers Market on Saturdays
- Blue Star Donuts • Brioche donuts with very tasty fillings
- Voodoo Doughnuts • Yes, it is super touristy but they make traditional yeast donuts with nostalgic fillings. My favorite is the ODB - a yeast donut with chocolate ganache, a peanut butter drizzle and crushed Oreos. They have a few locations.
- Berlu • Pop up only on Sundays! They have prix fixe dinner menu as well.
- Salt & Straw • You can get an ice cream flight. Their seasonal and local flavors are always extra fun
Places to shop:Note • They don't charge sales tax! So if you have gifts to buy, plan ahead.
Powell's City of Books • One of the most incredible bookstores in America
- Hammer + Vine • Plant Shop
- Carter & Rose • Plant & Gift Shop
Plants on Broadway a Plant Shop companion Pets On Broadway • stockist
Wild Cactus Boutique • Boutique
- Dennis’ 7 Dees Garden Center • Nursery & Plant Shop • stockist
- Solabee Flowers & Botanicals • Plant & Gift Shop • stockist
Adorn • Boutique
- Botanica Floral Design • Plant, flower and gift shop • stockist
- Altar • Boutique
- Little Otsu • cutest little stationery shop
- MUJI - Portland • Japanese imports, stationery, home goods
Starflower • Plant, flower and gift shop • stockist
Things to do:
- Saturday • Portland Farmers Market at PSU
- Saturday • The Saturday Market
- Visit the International Rose Test Garden • Go early in the morning before the crowds descend
- Secrets Of Portlandia Free Walking Tour
And a list of things that I want to eat/see/do next time because we never seem to have enough time in this sweet city.
Things we'll do/explore next time:
- Visit the Columbia River Gorge
- Latourell Falls • An easier to access waterfall
- Visit Crater Lake (in the summer when the glacier melts)
- Check the Travel Portland page for new events
- Lan Su Chinese Garden
- Portland Japanese Garden
Things we'll eat next time:
- Bistro Agnes
- Tokyo Sando
- Lokanta PDX
- Hat Yai
- Nan Ban
- Pip’s Original Doughnuts & Chai
- Por Qué No? Taqueria
- Han Oak
- Swiss Hibiscus
- Andina Restaurant
- St. Honoré Boulangerie
- 10 Barrel Brewing Portland
- Chochu Local
- Fifty Licks Ice Cream • They have two locations